Friday, January 2, 2009

Quick fix for downed internet connections

computer>



Did you know that your computer's cable internet cable could build up a static charge? Me, neither! If you mysteriously can't connect to the internet, that might be the cause.

I was on the phone with tech support, and there didn't seem to be any problem with my modem, router, or connection between my house and the cable company. I had already unplugged and replugged the cable that goes into my computer. Then I had a flash: what if my cable was actually bad?

I took my laptop to the den, and my connection was fine there. The tech support guy told me that my kitchen cable could have just up and died, but that I should try this: take my laptop back to the kitchen and reverse which ends of the cable do what (wall now goes into computer, computer now goes into wall.) It worked!

Apparently your cable can build up a static charge. Reversing the ends takes care of it.

I love it when I find a good tech support guy!

No comments: